Third Party Batteries vs. Genuine Apple Batteries
3rd party laptop batteries are usually significantly more affordable than genuine Apple-branded batteries, with no sacrifices to battery life or overall quality.
Remember, Apple doesn’t “make” batteries any more than they make memory, hard drives, or other laptop components. Everything in a MacBook is manufactured by factories that make parts for one, possibly many, brand name(s). Basically, your laptop is already a collection of “3rd party” parts, if you consider Sony, Seagate, and other major brands to be third parties. Apple builds their machines with parts from well-known manufacturers like Sony, Seagate, ATI, Nvidia, Intel, and AMD.
Apple parts aren’t magical or infallible… or even that special
The only thing buying the battery from Apple guarantees you is a higher price tag.
And those parts aren’t infallible, either. Remember the time Apple recalled 1.8 million Sony-built fire-prone batteries in 2006? Those batteries came with Apple laptops, but they’re not made by Apple. Here’s a more recent example: Apple offers free replacements for 2009-2011 iMacs sold with hard drives made by Seagate.
The point is, “third party” laptop batteries aren’t anything to be wary of or concerned about.
Advantages & Disadvantages of 3rd Party Laptop Batteries
Advantages of 3rd Party Laptop Batteries
- Significantly lower price
- Same high quality as “name brand” batteries
- Good customer support (For example: Anker offers an 18 month warranty)
Disadvantages 3rd Party Laptop Batteries
- Replacing your MacBook Pro’s battery with a non-Apple battery may void the device’s warranty. If your laptop is still within its original warranty, you should visit your local Apple Store to see if you can get a replacement battery for free.
- May not fit perfectly – you might have to try a couple brands before you find a good fit for your laptop
Using non-Apple products with a MacBook Pro may void the device’s warranty. If it’s old, this isn’t much of a concern. Make sure the replacement battery you purchase is up to OEM (original equipment manufacturer) standards and is compatible with your specific device.
Recommended 3rd Party Laptop Battery Brands for Apple Laptops
Also check out OWC (Other World Computing), one of the premier Apple resellers in the United States.